Fresh Chitol fish paste - 2 cups
Finely chopped onions - ½ cup
Ginger paste - 1 teaspoon
Garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
Chili powder - 1 teaspoon
Cumin powder - 1 teaspoon
Ground turmeric - ½ teaspoon
Black pepper - ½ teaspoon
Garam masala (cinnamon, cardamom and cloves) - ½ teaspoon
Finely chopped green chili - 1 teaspoon
Chopped corainder - 2 teaspoons
Salt - 1 teaspoon (or as needed)
Oil - ½ cup
1. Mix the fish paste with ½ teaspoons each of ginger, garlic, chili powder, cumin powder and salt.
2. Now mix the paste with the garam masala and black pepper, and make small balls out of it.
3. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the fish balls until they are reddish.
4. Now brown the onions in the same pan, and add the rest of the ginger, garlic, chili powder, cumin, turmeric, salt and some water. Mix well for 2 minutes.
5. Add the fried fish balls to the pan and mix with the sauce slowly.
6. Add in about ½ cup of water and coriander, cover and keep over low heat.
7. After 3 to 4 minutes, when the gravy thickens, turn off the heat and serve hot.
Tidbit: The fish balls can also be served separately once they are fried and cooked.