- 1 16 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup liquid from can of chickpeas
- 3-5 tablespoons lemon juice (depending on taste)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can.
2.Combine remaining ingredients in blender or food processor.
3. Add 1/4 cup of liquid from chickpeas. Blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
4. Place in serving bowl, and create a shallow well in the center of the hummus.
Add a small amount (1-2 tablespoons) of olive oil in the well.
Garnish with parsley, pinch of cayenne powder and pinch of cumin powder (optional).
Serve immediately with fresh, warm or toasted pita bread, or cover and refrigerate.
**This recipe was found on about.com**
PS: Down Below is the Recipe to make fresh Tahini
- 5 cups sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil or vegetable oil
1. Toast sesame seeds for 5-10 minutes, shaking the seeds frequently with a spatula. Do not allow to brown. Cool for 20 minutes.
2. Pour sesame seeds into food processor and add oil. Blend for 2 minutes. Check for consistency. The goal is a thick, yet pourable texture. Add more oil and blend until desired consistency.
Yield: 4 cups
Tidbit on How to Store Tahini: Tahini should be stored in the refrigerator in a tightly closed container. It will keep for up to 3 months. User Revie