1 eggplant, cubed or 4-5 small eggplants cut into slits for a prettier presentation
1 onion, chopped
3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp tamarind paste
1 tsp cooking oil, of your choice
a pinch of sugar
juice of half a lime
.25 tsp of Panch phoran spice (Bengali five spice - consists equal parts of fenugreek(methi), nigella seed (kalonji), mustard seed or (rai or shorshe), fennel seed (saunf or mouri), cumin seed (jira))
1. Heat oil on medium/high heat.
2. Add onions, cook until soft.
3. Add tomatoes, ginger, garlic. Cook for 5 mins until soft.
4. Add eggplant, sugar and tamarind. Stir.
5. Cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the lime juice and paach phoran. cook for 2-3 mins
Serve Hot with Rice